Williams port pa dating

06-Nov-2015 08:53

Williamsport was incorporated as a borough on March 1, 1806, and as a city on January 15, 1866.

In the late 19th century, Williamsport was known as "The Lumber Capital of the World" because of its thriving lumber industry.

By the early 20th century, the town reached the height of its prosperity and the population has since declined by about a third from its peak of around 45,000 in 1950.

williams port pa dating-53williams port pa dating-37williams port pa dating-52

The all-time record high temperature in Williamsport of 106 °F (41 °C) was established on July 9, 1936, which occurred during the Dust Bowl, and the all-time record low temperature of −20 °F (−29 °C) was set on January 21, 1994.

There were 12,219 households, out of which 27.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.9% were married couples living together, 15.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.9% were non-families.

35.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.

In May 1835, the first public schools opened in Williamsport and also the town's first bank, the West Branch National Bank.

From 1830 until 1865, the underground railroad, a system of safe houses and routes for slaves escaping to freedom, operated in Lycoming County; many local abolitionists, including Daniel Hughes, served as conductors and agents. The following year the Williamsport Hospital opened its first facility April 1 at Elmira and Edwin Streets.

The all-time record high temperature in Williamsport of 106 °F (41 °C) was established on July 9, 1936, which occurred during the Dust Bowl, and the all-time record low temperature of −20 °F (−29 °C) was set on January 21, 1994.

There were 12,219 households, out of which 27.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.9% were married couples living together, 15.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.9% were non-families.

35.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.

In May 1835, the first public schools opened in Williamsport and also the town's first bank, the West Branch National Bank.

From 1830 until 1865, the underground railroad, a system of safe houses and routes for slaves escaping to freedom, operated in Lycoming County; many local abolitionists, including Daniel Hughes, served as conductors and agents. The following year the Williamsport Hospital opened its first facility April 1 at Elmira and Edwin Streets.

The average household size was 2.30 and the average family size was 2.97. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.9 males.